Friday, June 29, 2012

Small House Rock.

Our first house was sort of the beta version of living quarters, and, from my perspective, it did not pass the usability testing. Our bedroom was exactly two feet larger on one end and one side of a queen-sized bed. We did not have space to fit a proper dining table in our kitchen, so we rarely entertained. And we were periodically visited by bats via our attic fan. It had its charm, but in a way that you’d think of if it wasn’t yours.

Despite my complaints, it did actually serve us fairly well. Still, I have difficulty forming fond memories of the house itself; but at least have many of the happenings in it.

The Sunday morning ritual was always to turn on WGVU radio and pretty much listen from Piano Jazz, through the Jazz Spotlight with Harvey McKnight, ‘til the end of This American Life (until they moved it to Saturdays). I would drink coffee and wander our 795 square feet, doing very important things, I’m sure.

Piano Jazz was, and is, a bit hit or miss; but, one Sunday, they hit me over the head with their feature on Bob Dorough. I realized as I was listening that I knew the voice, though I didn’t know why until it was revealed at some point during the hour-long program. I ordered the CD Devil May Care that day and obsessed over it for months. I attempted to turn friends on to him; but almost no one was having it. But how could they not love this? (Really, you want to listen to it. Play it now.)



I’ll admit that his tone and vocal styling are unusual; but that, to me, is the allure. I listened to him today after a long hiatus and was so enchanted (again) I almost cried.

If you want to like him; but... then maybe you will at least appreciate what he is probably more known for, which is explained in this audio interview on Fresh Air. (I was unsuccessful in finding the Piano Jazz session, so this will have to do. It's much quicker about getting down to business, anyway.)


So, what do you think of that?!

P.S. Devil May Care is the only album I own and the only one needed, in my opinion. Because it is perfect.
    

No comments:

Post a Comment