Sunday, June 17, 2012

Let it be.


I negotiated myself out of bed really early yesterday morning with the goal of beating the Saturday rush at the farmers’ market. That painful struggle from feet under the covers to feet on the floor was well worth it when I got to pull away from the market parking lot just in time to watch it start to crowd up through my rearview mirror. 

Going early not only avoids the madness of baskets and bicycles and baby strollers (and human strollers who seem to have no mission except to block those of us who do); but it also ensures the freshest picks. Like these: 


I brought them into the house and started to prep a vase when I noticed a tiny honeybee scavenging in one of the blooms. I rushed out to the patio, gave the bee a little puff for incentive, and just as it flew away, a massive bumble bee so bulbous it seemed to barely be able to combobulate itself rushed at my bouquet with surprising determination. It startled the hell out of me; but I managed to safely swat it away and hurry back to the calm of my kitchen.

I’m not really one to ignore when a living metaphor comes at me like that, so seemingly set on sending me a message. I pondered its meaning and concluded this: don’t be quick to make drastic changes when faced with only a minor problem; you could trade it for a much bigger one. 

No comments:

Post a Comment