Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Emoti...con.

So, I was writing a facebook post yesterday and I realized that it was long enough to consider it as a blog post. Desperate as I am these days for content, I put it in the pocket of my Monday pants and pulled it out today.

I was thinking about then & now, and how I couldn't fathom then, being the lengthy letter crafter I was, writing the way I do now.

Yes, then, I doodled in the margins, drew hearts and smiley faces in-between the lines, and, occasionally, sealed them with a kiss - though that mostly in my mind. These were ancillary elements, not required for the reader to get my meaning.

Now, it seems that every electronic transmission requires a qualifier. A misunderstanding diffuser. That is, the emoticon.

So, now, to my deep thought on the unanticipated acts of my future. The other day, in a dashed off note, I accidentally typed a winky frowny instead of a winky smiley. It was a mistype, but I wondered, were it not: what is the emotion here? Cheeky, but damned grumpy about it? I'm giving you my shitbird face, but really it's just a front? Meet me in the corner and I'll confess to you how happy I really am?

And then I thought: what the hell? And, I'm still thinking that.







No comments:

Post a Comment