Thursday, July 12, 2012

Fake it until you make it.


When I left suburbs north of Detroit to go to college in West Michigan, I was OK to say goodbye to the big city. My hometown was exploding with growth, and the busy-ness and traffic and overall sprawl were more of a nuisance to me than anything to get excited about. I liked the change of pace and quietude of living amid wooded ravines to my east and cornfields in every other direction. 

Though I don’t come from Detroit proper, many of my best childhood memories happened there: live jazz on the weekends at Hart Plaza, the rise of the People Mover, concerts at Joe Louis…

It wasn’t until I’d been away for quite a long time that I truly appreciated it. And started to miss it. But by then it had fallen down. Hard. Driving through the city would make my heart ache. I would fantasize about moving back and being part of its rebirth. (I still do, honestly.)

Though that isn’t a practical option for me right now, I can at least live vicariously through Brian Kelly Photography’s Detroit Portraits Project. You can read about it from the beginning here

I just received in the mail the portrait I was promised in exchange for helping back the project: 

The project, including my pic, #15, is documented here.
I chose this one because it represents to me in one hand desolation and in the other, albeit artificial, the illumination of hope. 

No comments:

Post a Comment