Monday, July 2, 2012

Short & Sweet.

Mark Twain is credited for writing, “I didn't have time to write a short letter, so I wrote a long one instead.” As, according to the ever-reliable Google, are Pascal, Pliny, Shaw, Voltaire, and probably anyone else who has struggled with self-editing. 

I am guilty of being wordy, and I do recognize it as a crutch of sorts. If I write four or five paragraphs, it’s likely that there’s something good hiding in one of them. If I write one, then every word better be one-upping the last. In short, less is more...pressure.

This is intimidating. But I’m going to give it a try.

I’m taking my inspiration from a description written about the Pantone® Color of the Year: Tangerine Tango. I can state with relative certainty that Leatrice Eiseman of the Pantone Color Institute is its author. She wrote, "Sophisticated but at the same time dramatic and seductive, Tangerine Tango is an orange with a lot of depth to it. Reminiscent of the radiant shadings of a sunset, Tangerine Tango marries the vivaciousness and adrenaline rush of red with the friendliness and warmth of yellow, to form a high-visibility, magnetic hue that emanates heat and energy."

Feeling similarly expressive about Cabaret, another swatch in the Spring 2012 Collection, I might characterize it this way...

Like lips that have been locked in a ravenous kiss, Cabaret comes up for air, flushing in demure surprise. Inflamed with an innuendo of fiery yellow while tempered with a hint of cyan indifference, Cabaret’s magenta heart percolates in growing infatuation. With hunger and intensity that resonate from within, Cabaret abandons discretion and embraces with anticipation the passion to come.
 
Something like that, maybe.

No surprise: BCBG is paying attention. I picked up this dress yesterday, not knowing I'd hear
a coworker's presentation today on Pantone color trends and be moved to
write tonight about its exact color: Cabaret. Hmmm.

No comments:

Post a Comment