Saturday, July 21, 2012

When you assume…


I usually have a pretty rampant imagination, but last night I couldn’t conceive a reason why I had a voicemail from a certain someone who happens to be pretty high up in my company. It’s not out of the question that she would call me, but not very likely on a Friday night when she was supposed to be at a Pops concert. Her message was cryptic, so I called her back immediately. She didn’t answer, which didn’t surprise me because of the live music aspect of her night’s entertainment. A few moments later, though, she texted me this: Looking for advice when you began and begun.

What?!

First of all, the word “advice,” coming from someone who typically serves as a mentor to me and my coworkers, was way out of place. I tried to think. We are close in age, at least relatively—and also in comparison to the rest of our department, whom are anywhere from 10-15 years younger than one or the other of us. For a moment I thought she was wondering if I’d gone through the change. Even so, she has five years on me and surely has peers she’d rather discuss such indignities with. 

I thought harder. We’d had some very personal conversations a couple of years back when I was struggling through a mid-life crisis of sorts. I thought possibly she wanted to talk about something similar. Still, why with me? This did not make sense. I texted her back: I’m not sure I understand… I can meet up tomorrow at the farmers’ market if you want to chat.

After a long intermission, I got this: What is correct…? The concert has began or the concert has begun?

Oh…!

With the missing word “use” revealed through context it all made sense. Grammar. Yes, I can talk to you all night about past participles. How much time do you have?!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment