Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Thinking ahead.


In my household, there’s an ongoing debate about beheading. (Yep, this is a conversation that’s been had more than once). One of us believes that it is, without question, the most humane form of execution. Quick, probably painless, and highly effective. The correct one of us doesn’t argue that these characteristics are true, only that it is still inhumane. Psychologically speaking.

When I was a child, I was unnaturally disturbed by the idea of decapitation. I say unnaturally I guess because there was pretty much no likelihood of it ever happening to me or anyone I knew and loved. But it still bothered me. It scared me the way that monsters under the bed scared other children.

Consider that most kindergarten drawings of people are nothing more than heads with hands and feet coming directly out of them. Even if those tiny brains aren’t comprehending it at the time, they know the is that just is: our heads are our identities. (Note to self for later: disable grammar-check…)

While some of us might be a little more attached to ours than others, I think it’s fair to say that the physical removal of our identity (especially knowing in advance that it’s going to happen) is a separation that even in the face of death is somehow worse than death. 

Am I wrong?

No comments:

Post a Comment