Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Sonnet 1: Post-Melee Debris


Last summer, while in New York City for a few days, I came upon this curiosity just outside of Central Park.


It isn’t odd to encounter trash and castoffs on the streets; but this piece piqued my interest enough that I captured it on my phone with the idea that I might write about it someday. 

What happened? Was it ripped off in disgust after an insufferable day at the office? Or part of a school uniform, removed in defiance? Was it torn from its wearer’s neck in a fit of passion? Or the only remnant of an alien abduction? Maybe it simply slipped from the owner’s loose grasp and there is no story here other than a lack of awareness. Or maybe...

I paused to gaze upon the moon,
Its glow was none I’d seen.
A force so strong it made me swoon.
Was filling up the scene.
I felt a clutch around my neck,
And loosened up my tie.
I blinked my eyes to double check;
What was that in the sky?
The brightness left me paralyzed,
My knees were locked in fright.
Too late it was I realized,
A fiery meteorite:
     And now no proof that I was present,
     Except this knotted accoutrement.


No comments:

Post a Comment