Sunday, March 3, 2013

A Little Dinner Music.

Yes, you're right: I have been making a lot of tacos lately. Between us, I am indulging a fantasy of owning a food truck and taking my concoctions out on the road. With every success, I've become more confident and my fantasies of fame and fortune more outlandish.

And then last week I had a fail. Inexplicably, the Jamaican jerk chicken tacos I attempted actually kind of sucked (though the fried plantains were delightful. They were fried after all.) Since, I've put my feet back on the ground and, despite the reality check, the apron back on.

Also, Ben made a special dinner request for chicken tacos of some variety. And because I know that this is most likely his last supper before he straps himself in to the slow execution device known as 11 straight days of takeout, I'm going to try to make it good.

:sigh: Well, at least my kitchen will be clean when I get back. 

Oh, also, I've decided to add an element to my recipe-making that I'm calling "Culinary Sound-System." That is, a musical selection to complement the meal. Tonight we'll be having:

Tacos El Microfono

Here's what you need:

Olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
3 cloves of garlic, minced
1½ of tablespoon chili powder
½ teaspoon of crushed red pepper flakes
½ teaspoon of dried oregano
1½ teaspoon of smoked Spanish paprika
2 teaspoons of ground cumin
1 teaspoon of sea salt
½ of Aleppo pepper
½ teaspoon of black pepper
1 cup of chicken broth
½ a can of petite diced tomatoes (sorry, I know)
1½ pounds of boneless, skinless chicken breasts, trimmed

Here's what to do:

Coat a medium skillet with olive oil, add the onion and garlic, and sauté until onions are cooked thoroughly.

Meanwhile, mix all spices together in a small dish.

Transfer the cooked onions and garlic to a Dutch oven, then stir in broth, spice mix, and tomatoes. Add the chicken and turn to coat.

Bake at 350° for about 1-1½ hours until chicken is tender. Remove chicken and shred using two forks. Stir in enough reserved sauce to the shredded chicken to add moisture without being overly juicy.

Serve on flour tortillas with shredded lettuce and cheese.


And...here's what to listen to
 


Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment