Tuesday, March 5, 2013

It Was in My Way.

Off and on over the last few days I had CSNY’s “Almost Cut My Hair” in my head as I contemplated my appointment at the salon tonight.


I did cut my hair, and I don’t wonder why, to contradict one of the lines that follows in that song. But, in a funny way, I was nervous about it, and cursed myself a little for adding another reason for being uneasy to the next 24 hours.

I didn’t necessarily feel like I would be disabling my femininity by cutting off my ultra-long locks, but I did worry that I would make a poor style choice that I’ll be forced to accept every time I look in the mirror. For the next several months.

Change alone forces the walls of our comfort zone to stretch and crack, which can be painful. But awkward change, well, no one can really prepare enough for that.

Turns out nothing threatening happened. And, after, like, 27 passes by my reflection, I see that I'm still me; I just look a little different. 

  

No comments:

Post a Comment