Friday, December 28, 2012

Danse Occulte.

The studio where I take belly dancing classes is in our City’s Masonic Temple. Aside from the large G at the south end of our current room (which we have re-assigned to symbolize Goddess instead of Geometry), I haven’t taken much interest in the Masons. That is until the day we moved to this temporary location within the building:

The folding chair does detract a bit from the majesty, huh?
Is that goat's blood I smell?
Wall-to-wall red carpeting, red upholstered benches and chairs, massive thrones centered at each of the four walls, and a curious altar in the middle of the room. Yeah, now I’m piqued.

Finding information to satisfy that interest is another story. It might be that I am afflicted with TLDR Syndrome, but, really, there isn’t much telling to be told out there. I mean, this article is nice and long, but where are the chewy details? What happens on that altar? Why the grandiose décor?

There does seem to be a mysterious shadow that obscures the specific happenings within the lodge, which I suppose is exactly what a secret society, or a “society with secrets” is wont to cast.

The aura of esoteric rituals must be seeping from the lain brick walls, though. Because, I have to say, I have done some of my most inspired performances in that room.

So, yeah, that's OK. I don't need to know.

No comments:

Post a Comment