Tuesday, December 25, 2012

Get Back.

Tonight we heard an extended snippet of the Beatles' Come Together. It sparked a brief conversation about the lyrics, specifically the main chorus: Come together, right now, over me. It seems a fitting suggestion on this day when so many are supposed to be coming together to celebrate Jesus, but are, instead, celebrating domination of the passing lane, worship of the dinner plate, glorification of the dollar, and devotion to the self.

Just so you know, I haven't found Jesus underneath a big pile of wrapping paper and bows, but I can appreciate what he was trying to say. It's too bad it is lost on so many that claim to do what he would do.

Anyway...

As it turns out, Come Together, has some different analyses, interestingly explained here.

Hearing the song made me yearn for possibly the biggest guilty pleasure known to man: the Bee Gees' version of Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band. This ranks (for me) in kind with the Sound of Music and the Wizard of Oz as films I will watch over and over, despite the questionability of the former.

But consider:

I do prefer the Beatles' version, but...

A little help from my friends: always a good thing...

Jesus, I love it! 


No comments:

Post a Comment