Sunday, September 23, 2012

Traveling Light.

I'm back home, but definitely not without some hoopla. At LaGuardia, I lost a pre-determined losing argument about whether the carry-on bag that I've carried on no less than eight previous trips was going to be carried on this time. Surprise! It wasn't.

While I was in the snack store with a bottled water and a dubiously-titled bag of Smart Fries, my name was called over the intercom. For a brief moment I actually thought, sadly, that they had given my luggage a second chance and we were about to be reunited. We weren't.

But, I did get offered a spot on the direct flight to Grand Rapids, which was leaving RIGHT NOW and would get me home an hour and a half early. Of course I took it, since they promised my luggage would go with me. (Guess what? It didn't!)

I didn't know that yet as I did an O.J. Simpson to my new gate, which, to clarify, was not committing a double murder along the way.

I dashed and leaped, much more sprightly than I knew I had in me, until I ran into a courtesy driver whom I begged to take me to my gate. I hopped on and he reversed, turned around, and drove forward about 15 feet to my gate. (Oh.)

The flight was uneventful, for a nice change of pace, and I had the pleasure of viewing the sunset (which looks really weird when it's above the clouds) for the duration of the trip. It was a bit like a painting in that it was a sunset, rather than a sun setting. It never changed or dipped below the clouds; the sky just got darker.

I took some pics that I'd love to post, but my camera cable is in my suitcase (along with my laptop, argghh), and who knows where the hell that is right now. In the mean time I'll try to channel some of this serenity...

Taken at the Rubin Museum in NYC (on my iPhone).


No comments:

Post a Comment