Saturday, November 24, 2012

Bodaciously Bewildering Beats.

In the winter of 2010, when I decided to take up belly dancing seriously, I was experimenting a lot with music and stylestrying to figure out which direction I would venture in. At the time, I was really into Beats Antique:
  

While I ultimately decided to embrace a more traditional form, rather than tribal, I still appreciate their music and occasionally try out a gyration or two. And I can do a pretty mean belly roll, actuallywhich shouldn't surprise considering what I feed it.

I remember back then mentioning them to a friend, and he said (something like), "Oh yeah, well have you heard Balkan Beat Box?" I hadn't, but once I did, I was completely taken. Not the same sound of Beats Antique at all, but in the spirit of belly dance music with a twist. I challenge you to hold your booty still for this: 


 Or the next evolution:


Or with what they're up to today (caution for ears who are sensitive to the F word):


They continue to thrill me like none other. I guess you won't enjoy them as much as me, but give them a listen anyway, will you?


No comments:

Post a Comment