Friday, November 9, 2012

I Was Lost, But Now I'm Found.

Do you know that feeling you have when you've found something truly spectacular, and you're so over the moon about it, and you're telling everyone you know about it hoping that they will listen, read, taste, look, or touch and they just don't?

So many years ago (2002?) a friend of mine got so fed up with me ignoring his raves that he just bought the damn CD for me and shoved it in my hands. I listened to it while I was panic-strickenly lost en route to Atlanta's Hartsfield-Jackson Airport, supposedly on my way home after a visit, but prospects of getting on a plane looking dimmer by the moment.

Aside from the intense focus I had on finding the right off ramp (seriously, this airport is like the Bermuda Triangle), the CD in question had the remainder of my attention, and somehow soothed my disoriented mind, lifting my rental car onto its magic carpet and depositing me at my destination without ten minutes to spare.

I'm talking about Badly Drawn Boy's Have You Fed the Fish. Here's a live performance of You Were Right. Is it my favorite? Hard to say. This is a work that from one song to the next my infatuation shifts like a fickle teenager.    


Although I really do think I'm in love with How...


I picked up 1999's The Hour of Bewilderbeast soon after and crushed all over again. This is Once Around the Block.


That was a long time ago, but it still holds up today. Sometimes we don't know what's good for us, eh? Oh, and thanks a million, you know who.


No comments:

Post a Comment