Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Sew Me.

Back in the lean days, I sewed a lot of my own clothes. I made multiple shift dresses out of cotton calico, crafted a pair capri pants out of a fabric typically used for curtains, and, once, eked out a mini skirt from half a yard of embroidered upholstery textile.

I was a bit of an style oddity, but there is no question that what I was wearing was one-of-a-kind. This made me happy.

I haven't sewn a garment (for myself) in probably 10 years, but I've never lost my love of fashion or the fantasy of creating clothing under my own conditions.

Project Runway keeps me inspired, and from time to time I get the urge to start sewing again, but I've rarely gotten past the concept + shopping for fabric stage. Around my house are bags filled with all the elements of my imagined garment, stacked neatly and waiting for me to pour my attention on them. Today I finally stopped daydreaming and started daydoing. Here's what happened:


Half skirt, half pant, currently being called a "Part." Maybe a little boring of a title, but it does convey its function: part pant, part skirt, while sounding a lot less skanky than skant.

Under the skirt, the right leg wears a go-go short version of the left. Completely demure, very comfy, and, I believe, an Allison original. Whee! 

No comments:

Post a Comment