Tuesday, January 22, 2013

That's Entertainment.

Last Friday was a day of celebration in my house with the return of Real Time with Bill Maher for 2013. He is a controversial figure, for sure, but I find that he speaks (accurately) to many of the same issues and concerns that make me pound my liberal pectorals. Sometimes he’s rude, sometimes he’s condescending, sometimes he’s arrogant, but I love him still because he is one of the few who unapologetically tells it like it is with respect to religious and social intolerance, fiscal rapacity, and flagrant political idiocy.

I’m sure that many view him as I do any of those unconscionable blowhards on Fox News. With one mistake: he is conscionable.

All this said, how refreshing that one of his guests last Friday, my newest girl crush, by the way, confronted him more than once on some of his more obvious wayward ways. Her name is Rula Jebreal, and she cited him once for abusing vulgarity for the sake of shock value—saying, without words, that he only weakened his point. And then a second time for giving pop culture trivialities any discussion time when so many consequential matters had gone un-tabled.

For the 15 minutes she was on the show, she shepherded the conversation, every conversation, to higher ground.

I like this woman. Did I mention that?


No comments:

Post a Comment