Monday, January 21, 2013

The Doctor Is In.

Before I get started, I have a request. Today, the day that we celebrate the legacy of Martin Luther King, Jr., will you read, in its entirety, his famous “I Have a Dream” speech? (Or watch it?)

If you only read one piece of writing today, I’ll be OK if it’s that instead of mine. It is truly a remarkable work: highly visual, painting a still troublesome scene with thick strokes of fiery words; highly emotional, invoking a powerful flood of empathy and passionate indignation; and highly influential, galvanizing those who sought to carry out that dream.

All that and more. It, this speech, has risen up in me many times today as I consider how much has changed and how far we still have to go. So that all humans are truly created equal: women and men, homosexuals and heterosexuals, theists of every brand and atheists, all races, and who else…? Oh, yeah: everyone. Everyone.

Actually that’s all I have to say today.

P.S. Something someone else said today may have inspired this post as well. It made me feel proud and went something (exactly) like this:

"We, the people, declare today that the most evident of truths – that all of us are created equal – is the star that guides us still; just as it guided our forebears through Seneca Falls, and Selma, and Stonewall..."

No comments:

Post a Comment