Friday, October 12, 2012

Beat It.

Tonight we were driving home from one of my favorite restaurants, Bombay Cuisine, & the radio was on WGVU. Between pledge requests for their fund drive (Oh, yeah, I already gave!), they were playing their usual after 7:00p.m. jazz set. Art Blakey was on, and Ben said I should write about jazz drumming.

It was a good idea. Except that I have no intelligence for describing what it is about it that I love. Just that I do. Tito Puente, Gene Krupa, Chick Webb... they all created sounds that reverberate from the center: prickling the skin, pounding the chest, awakening the sensibilities. And Art Blakey is in there, too.

Please have the patience to watch & listen to this recording of Art Blakey & the Jazz Messengers performing one of my favorites: Moanin'.

No comments:

Post a Comment