Monday, April 22, 2013

Ancient Myths.

So I was thinking about two things yesterday: 1) how much better my life is now than when I was half my age 2) how drastically the world has changed since that time.

Because I'll need a topic for tomorrow, I may as well split these up, right?

In 1991, I drove a Chevy Citation that was covered in Grateful Dead decals and a COMPOST sticker that was meant as a noun for labeling of bins, but that I was using as a verb/suggestion/command (as in: I am an environmentally conscious individual and, like me, you really should...).

The washer fluid trigger hadn't worked since I bought it, and after a year or so of driving around with a bottle of generic Windex rolling around on my passenger side floor, and lurching out the window to spray any time I slowed to less than 20 MPH, my dad decided to fix it for me.

He did so as any practical/stingy person would do: with a standard light switch mounted to the dash. This worked, of course, but never once escaped the curiosity of new riders. (What is this for? Flip. Oh...weird.)

My one brag-worthy feature of this vehicle was that with the wide frame and hatchback, I could fold down the seats and transport a twin-sized mattress. This sounds way more romantic than it was, as my personal life was not just in shambles, but still smoldering from the carnage. The only pleasure associated with a bed in my back seat was that I was driving it to a new apartment where, presumably, life would suck less.

Did I mention that I worked as a waitress at a Chinese restaurant, then? The peculiarities of this particular chapter are so numerous that I'm not entirely sure where to start or stop. Their food was spectacular, though, and I gracelessly gained at least 10 pounds.

This was also the year that I decided to change my major (year four, mind you) but because I was actually all but finished, the only sensible thing to do was add on a minor. This is how you graduate college in just six short years!

And about midway through this 12-month experiment in living, I decided to become celibate. A born-again virgin, I think I called it. For about a year, as I recall. It was after (and likely because of) this that life became more placid. And the road ahead less cluttered with debris.

And there is more, but that's enough for today.


No comments:

Post a Comment