Friday, April 19, 2013

Judge Not, As They Say...

I’m going to say something here that may sound strange. I said it once already today: I wish the Boston bombers weren’t Muslims. (I'll qualify that with "suspects" and "presumably" for now.) It goes without saying (though, just in case, I will) that I wish infinitely more that this tragedy didn’t happen at all.

That said, it seems lately I am constantly defending people of the Islamic faith (as a whole) against those who treat the people and their faith as if they are all the same. Those who say that the heinous acts of a few are condoned by and even conducted by the masses. This isn’t true.

I don’t believe in their religion or their version of god any more than anyone else's, and I do believe that their views on women’s rights need to progress a great deal. (So do a lot of others’, as long as we’re mentioning it.) But, I have met more Muslims than the average Midwesterner and I can see no resemblance between their behavior and the extremists. In fact, so far, I’m finding these to be some of the most exceptionally kind, generous, and peaceful people I’ve met.

Can't we all just get along?
Are all Christians as deranged as the Westboro Baptist Church members? I don’t even need to answer that.

So...?     

No comments:

Post a Comment