Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Don't be that way.


I’m sure it was because my instructor saw the light behind my eyes dim as I tried to form a sentence in Arabic involving more than two words that she felt compelled to encourage me. She said, “You will get it, Allison. You are a bright student. Masha’Allah.” I had heard the latter expression from her many times, yet she hadn’t taught me it yet. So I interrupted her (rude not matter which culture), to find out about it before the moment slipped. 

She explained that it is a Muslim expression, which in turn explained probably why it was not part of my lessons. In essence, it means: God has willed it. But in context, it generally means, I am happy for your good news, talent, or accomplishments, minus any jealously. 

I don’t know enough to make a comparison, but I think it’s fair to note that most Americans are more inclined to say nothing than give a compliment or congratulations that makes us uncomfortable because we are envious. Of all the emotions I am firmly in touch with, I do have to say that envy is not really one of them. However, I do think sometimes I withhold praise when I think it will be awkward because I believe that person has the confidence not to need it. Which, if you think about it, really is a form of envy.

So, I think I like this expression: masha’allah. 

My masha'allah is mumtaz, no?
Not because I am finally discovering the grace of god, but because through its application it achieves two goals: it liberates us from the clumsiness we might feel in acknowledging the greatness that is in others, while reminding us not to covet it.


No comments:

Post a Comment