Thursday, August 16, 2012

One Way Monkey.

When I was in college and just discovering that I wanted to pursue an English minor, I had a class that I’m having a hard time remembering the subject of, but at one point we read a piece of criticism on the use of clichés in writing. I am almost certain that the work was written by George Bernard Shaw, but do you think I can find any record of it online? Stupid google. Are frustration and panic all you have for sale these days?

Well, let’s just forget the author. We had to write a response to this piece, and I chose to write mine in defense of clichés, as well as include as many examples of these literary elements as I could fit in between the occasional noun and verb.

Not because I truly support their use, but because I thought it would be a challenge to take an opposite stance, and it would be fun to over-fertilize my commentary in this way.

Instead of charming my professor with my little wink, he ended up thinking I was an asshole. In his perception, I had created a dis-earnest parody of a work he took very seriously. Oops!

If he only knew now that all these years later I have never forgotten that assignment (except the author—maybe). And when I am really paying attention (most of the time), I try to twist any saying that has been too fresh on the tongues of any of us in this century or the last. I wonder if anyone has noticed?



No comments:

Post a Comment