Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Waiting for Advancements in Teleportation.


Back in 2008, I was working for an engineering and surveying firm writing proposals and marginally handling their graphic design needs. One of the Principals of the company invited me to participate in a local ASCE (American Society of Civil Engineers) roundtable discussion on the subject of preparing effective proposals. I was thrilled for the opportunity, and arrived at it more prepared than I have even been for anything in my life.

I sat with a panel of two others in front of an audience of about 30, including a few of my colleagues. We answered questions and then the table opened for each of us to present our nuggets of insight. When the attention turned to me, I froze. I had pages and pages of intelligent words in front of me that I could have simply read aloud, if only they didn’t look like an alien alphabet. I stared, I sweated, I opened my mouth with the intention of spewing words, but, instead, felt a wooly breeze passing between my lips. 

The brief moment that passed was one of the longest moments I have on memory. Its length was exaggerated by the number of thoughts I was able to conjure, minus those on the subject of the moment, of course. 

If you have ever experienced a non-physically-threatening moment of fight or flight, then this is what it felt like. I sat in my chair, and, rather than gravitating to either pole, I instead imagined myself simply not being there. Poof!

I grinned. They stared at me confused. A gracious coworker asked me a leading question and I was sprung from the steel bars that my mind had erected in record time.  

  

No comments:

Post a Comment