Friday, August 24, 2012

Not Obscured by Clouds.


I’m going to nibble at this topic, and then take a big bite when I’m feeling especially adept. Which is not tonight.

The table discussion over the past few evening meals has been about prog rock and the hesitation to put Pink Floyd in this category, even though this is how they are typically exemplified. Indulgence, or, more precisely: over-indulgence, was the scale tipper that put the weight on bands like Yes and Genesis and lifted Pink Floyd, if only by comparison. As a whole, I would consider them less dramatic and self-gratifying, but examination of the individual albums might hand the hat right back to them. Animals or Meddle? I'll get back to you on this (probably). Meanwhile, if you have 24:06 minutes, consider this...


(In August of 1989 there was a total lunar eclipse. This was part of our evening's soundtrack as my friends and I gave ourselves to every star that winked at us from that wonderfully black sky. Luscious, as I recall.) 

No comments:

Post a Comment