Monday, August 27, 2012

Mirror Moves.


In a commemorative gesture, I’ve picked back up David Rakoff’s book “Half Empty” after setting it aside only a few pages in nearly two years ago. I’m not sure why I pressed pause, but it can’t be because I was under-delighted. It’s a wonderful book filled with sinister cynicism, impossible prose, and joyless mirth. As I read, I am chewing every word slowly, knowing it is the last time I will dine on his delicious words. Did I say damnit? Because damnit. Really. 

My apologies to those with whom I’ve already shared this, but it’s not like this excerpt from the chapter titled “On Juicy” is less thoughtful the more you read it: "When I am being told, I listen, mindful of the honor, remembering all the while that the shore would be mistaken to believe that the waves lap up against him because he is so beautiful."

I am reminded, moreso in philosophical than literal terms, of this song and its inspired video:


In turn, I believe the song to be inspired by the writing of Zen Buddhist Dogen Zenji:

"Enlightenment is like the moon reflected on the water. The moon does not get wet, nor is the water broken. Although its light is wide and great, the moon is reflected even in a puddle an inch wide. The whole moon and the entire sky are reflected in dewdrops on the grass, or even in one drop of water.

Enlightenment does not divide you, just as the moon does not break the water. You cannot hinder enlightenment, just as a drop of water does not hinder the moon in the sky. The depth of the drop is the height of the moon. Each reflection, however long or short its duration, manifests the vastness of the dewdrop, and realizes the limitlessness of the moonlight in the sky."

-Dogen Zenji (1200 - 1253)

What do you think of that?


No comments:

Post a Comment