Thursday, June 6, 2013

Ave Marie.

Today we heard the news that a loved figure in our community died. Because I didn't know her personally, I was a bit surprised by how profoundly sad I felt about it all day. I fought tears several times and choked on my words when I tried to talk with others about her.

She owned Marie Catrib's restaurant where she created inspired dishes made from fresh, whole, locally grown & raised "everything." Like everyone else in town, I never minded waiting for a seat, which was pretty much every time. 

But the food will live on, so why such sadness over a near stranger?

The thing was, she treated everyone she met like a dear friend. She remembered each individual. She connected with her customers personally at every spare moment. And, once, she was remarkably kind to us when our lunchmates' child went into a frenetic meltdown. 

She was special. And, I'm telling you, we could taste her heart and soul in every item on the menu, even if she didn't cook it herself.

Those of us who are so moved by her passing are so because she made us want to be better humans. Want to be motivated from a place of love and compassion, instead of all those other emotions. 

Yeah, I'm making a pretty big deal about her, but that's because she was.

No comments:

Post a Comment