Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Trust Me.

What I've been thinking about over the last several days is how little I've been thinking about this NSA call collecting business. And my complacency is not because I am dim-witted, or too wrapped up in my daily trivialities (which, by the way, are strikingly few compared to the average person) to get it.

I might be guilty of naiveté, but, I really don't feel threatened or concerned by this at all. In my mind, I am an insignificant person whose private moments are just as I am: insignificant. It feels to me a bit silly that so many people are in an uproar over this. They strike me as having an incongruent measure of their own importance.

Whether we're important or not should not decide whether we have a right to privacy, I know. And just because they've been doing this for the last seven years and we've just now taken note of it doesn't make it any more right or wrong either.

Yet, still, I have felt for a long time, I suppose specifically since I started engaging with the digital age, that this is a consequence of our modern times. When we made the choice to engage in a web of practically unlimited interconnectedness, we surrendered, in my mind, our expectation that we could not be seen, known, heard, or tracked.

Note, I did not say our right, but our expectation. And those are two entirely different concepts. So, now, I ask: who are the ones being naive?    


No comments:

Post a Comment