Saturday, June 1, 2013

Status Symbol.

The dreaded question for me whenever I meet new people is explaining what I do for a living. For starters, the name of my company is strange and usually has to be repeated more than once. By the third echo, we have to agree to move on, which is the point when I mention that our office is out by the airport. This has absolutely no significance, but it sometimes distracts the conversation from its original topic.

If it doesn't and I'm forced to persist, then it's time to explain what employee recognition is and what kind of copy I could possibly write for such an abstract concept. Couldn't we please talk politics instead? That would be so much less complicated!

People on the more senior end of my generation find it unnecessary. They believe that it's acknowledgement enough to get a paycheck and that they shouldn't be rewarded for showing up and doing their jobs as they're supposed to. This makes sense. Kind of. But if I believed that too much, I wouldn't be very good at what I do.

Feeling valued and appreciated is important to us as humans, not just workers. Factor in that the emerging workforce is filled will millennials who thrive on it in every aspect of their lives, and it becomes required practice.

Well, now that I feel like I'm trying to sell you a used car, let me get to my point. The other day we were having a conversation at work about how facebook has dramatically heightened our need for feedback. No matter what generation we're from, few of us can deny that likes are good. We like likes. The more likes we get, the more we feel clever, successful, resourceful, creative, beautiful...liked.

I started to type that this is probably a problem and why I think it is. But is it? If so, what is it that is created in us that is so wrong? Just wondering if anyone has any similar or differing thoughts on this...?


No comments:

Post a Comment