Friday, June 14, 2013

Don't just be a friend. Be a friend.

One of the cool things about facebook is that you can know pretty much how all of your friends are doing, without ever picking up the phone or messaging them directly. (Man, do I hate talking on the phone...) This is especially nice for those friends whom you never would, but still like or know enough to care what they're up to these days. (On the flip side of that, a friend of mine and I refused for a long time to be facebook friends because we saw each other almost every day and wanted to actually talk about what's happening in our lives without knowing it already, in an almost weird telepathic kind of way. We gave in when she decided she wouldn't be seeing me or any of my coworkers with the same frequency anymore.)

Anyway, the downside of all this is that it's easy, when their news is scrolling past your eyes in a never ending feed, to forget to check in on those people you do care a lot about. My dear friend in Turkey is witnessing some crazy shit right now. But I know she is OK because she is updating all of us constantly with new posts. Whew, right?

Except she doesn't know that I am relieved that she is OK. She doesn't know that I've read every post and done my best to understand through the translation what is happening. She doesn't know that I click on every link of hers and everyone else's that have to do with the riots and chapulling going on in Istanbul's Taksim Square. Only I know that. And that was a thoughtless mistake on my part. I should have checked in. Not because I needed me to know, but because she did.

For those of you who want a synopsis of what's going on, here's a pretty informative article (sent to me by you know who...)

Üzgünüm. Seni sevdiğimi biliyorsun. 

No comments:

Post a Comment