Monday, June 10, 2013

I Like Love.

I've been listening to a lot of Bollywood music lately, and I've been hearing a specific word sung so frequently, I figured it must be a pretty important one in the Hindi language. The word is ishq. I never got around to looking it up until today, when I recalled that the Turkish word aşk means love. And I now know that ishq does, too. Duh. Not just an important word, but the ultimate word.

Being a bit of an etymology nerd, I was delighted to learn this from Wikipedia: 

"The word is derived from ‘ashiqah, a vine: the common belief is that when love takes its root in the heart of a lover, everything other than God is effaced."

I like that.

I also like that this word has its own wiki page, which should not be surprising. But, still, not every word in every language does. Just the special ones.


No comments:

Post a Comment