Thursday, February 14, 2013

A Labor of Love?

The other night, while I was writing about my NYC umbrella photos, I pulled out the brushed aluminum renderings of them that I had printed to show at an art exhibit a couple of years ago. As I sorted through them, I thought: who was this person? She who was so inspired. So moved to act. Where did the courage to step out of my norm come from? The boldness to represent myself as an artist when I was (am) really not? And then, more seriously, I thought: wait, where is that person now?

I might have spotted her today: talking in mixed tones and occasionally too loudly, with arms flailing and fingertips fluttering—all a bit spastically, to tell the truth.

Why the maniacal behavior? Well, I’m kind of excited. Because I have an idea.

I have long mourned the ineptitude of The Dirty Show to satisfy my hunger for eroticism. Keep your dog collars, your rubber onesies, your pierced appendages out of my face: I want to be innuendoed to a fever pitch. And if no one is going to do it for me, I suppose I’ll have to do it myself.

This afternoon I had my first real conversation with a friend about my idea: to create an erotic art show here in Grand Rapids in the image of my fantasy. Sensual paintings, conceptual photography, seductive music, provocative video, alluring dance, passionate poetry, and...that about covers it, I guess.

Am I a curator? No. Have I ever organized an event of this magnitude? Or a public event of any kind for that matter? No, no. Is it really possible for me to make this happen? Don’t know. But after a little collaboration with a selection of people who might share my vision... Maybe.

While I start drawing out my elaborate scheme, you might find these snippets from Alain de Botton's "How to Think More About Sex" to be, um, stimulating. Mentally speaking, of course. 


No comments:

Post a Comment