Saturday, February 16, 2013

Doesn't Bug Me.

We are currently cohabitating with a couple of boxelder bugs. Quite possibly more, but at least two.

We normally only see these creatures in the fall when they collect on the outside of our windows with a very Amityville-like presence, though they are more likely looking for a welcoming space to overwinter than signaling forthcoming ill will. These two must have gotten over-excited by our brief warm spell, exited hibernation, and are now stuck with us—at least for another month or so.

Last night, while reclining on the couch, one of them started creeping toward me. And I thought: if this were a spider, or heaven forbid, a cockroach, I would be on Jupiter right now. But I didn't leap or shriek or lunge for a tissue. I had to wonder why, and, after a thoughtful discussion with Ben, concluded that it all comes down to speed.

OK, so you've read this far (maybe), and you're wondering if I'm going to make a point. Not really, sorry.

Boxelders get to chill with us because they're slow. That's all I've got.  



 

No comments:

Post a Comment