Friday, February 15, 2013

Love Yourself.

I got started a little early on rule-following for being 44. Yesterday, I made a decision to let go of a friend, someone I care about, who stopped being a friend to me. I could have done nothing; just left it in its dormant state. But I felt like I needed to take a deliberate step. To make a statement (just to me, I guess) that loving myself matters more. To acknowledge that loving myself means, in part, not chasing friendships that seem to no longer exist and feeling hurt in the process.

Did I do the right thing? It doesn’t feel great right now. But it didn’t feel great before, either. In time, it might, though.

Why write about this? For one, to exorcize some of the darkness from my mind. Also, to underscore the importance of self love. (I know one of my readers who just snickered. Shhhh, you!) No matter what relationships we have, there’s only one that will be with us at the end: the one we have with ourselves. So we must be kind. And that kindness takes many forms.

That's all.




No comments:

Post a Comment