Sunday, February 10, 2013

I Vote for Love.

I have never been punched, so I can’t say I really know what it feels like. But, I remember in 2004, when the Michigan election results were broadcast and we learned that 59% of our hate-filled neighbors deliberately got in their cars, drove to a polling station, and voted for a proposal to specifically limit the rights of their fellow human beings. That felt like a fist in my gut. I felt ill. And, more, stupefied. And, even more, ashamed to be known as a resident of this state.

But there is hope. And there is also momentum that’s been gaining as more states opt for inclusion, for parity, and, for heaven’s sake, common decency.

I just learned of an organization called Tolerance, Equality, and Awareness Movement (TEAM) who are collecting signatures and raising funds for a campaign to legalize same-sex marriage in Michigan in 2014, while also overturning the 2004 ban.

It’s time. It’s way past time. Michigan: let’s do something we can be proud of, OK?

~a Public Service Announcement from me to you~


No comments:

Post a Comment