Saturday, February 2, 2013

That's the Signpost Up Ahead.

I have what I believe to be a very efficient way of handling my oral hygiene. Whereas I would otherwise be staring out the window doing nothing while my conditioner soaks in (except contemplating the complexities of life, potentially) I use this dormant shower time to brush my teeth.

Not only do I never show up anywhere with a glob of toothpaste front and center, I also suspect that in layering multiple tasks I will eventually earn extra time to spend the future.This makes sense, right?

The entire process has become so perfunctory that it scarcely requires thought: I complete the minty scrubbing, pull the shower curtain aside, and fling my toothbrush into the sink. After I've dried, I return it to the holder. Every day without fail. For years this has been going on.

Until yesterday. My flung object was not in the sink. Or on the counter. Or, gasp, on the floor behind the toilet. Or in the trash. Or, it seems, any place in this dimension.

It is clear to me now my toothbrush has earned that extra time in the future, but because I have dawdled at some other point in my days and weeks, it is simply there waiting for me to catch up.
  

No comments:

Post a Comment