Monday, May 6, 2013

A Big Deal.

I recently read a story on and a ton of accompanying praise for H&M, who started using plus-sized models in its advertising.

Look, as a formerly plump girl, I know that there's nothing worse than seeing a garment that drapes beautifully on the size 2 mannequin, but bunches nightmarishly on a size 12 frame. I've seen it in my own reflection and it's not cool.

That said, is the answer to excessively grow the size of the example? Why go to the other extreme, when a healthy size 8 is a perfectly average option?

Being overweight is not healthy, and it takes an incredible toll on every inch of our anatomies. Encouraging our population to embrace their extra pounds is, in my mind, as irresponsible as promoting cigarettes to kids. But there's a wide line between shaming and enabling. It's called Medium.

I have more to say, but I do believe that the angry mob outside my house is looking for me. If I'm able to outrun them, I have an idea why. Just saying. 


No comments:

Post a Comment