Thursday, May 16, 2013

Pez.

You know what? No matter where we go in life, we're always going to encounter difficult people. They may simply annoy us, they may obstruct our paths, or they may seem to exist for the sole purpose of shattering our spirits. 

Some we can walk away from. Some walk away from us. No matter. Because there will always be another walking toward us or one that we're advancing toward. This may seem pessimistic, but I think I've lived enough of this life to consider it realistic.

Which is why breathing a sigh of relief when a problem goes away, or believing that life would be so much better if this particular problem did, is short sighted, and also imagines no emotional freedom. It says that the power lies in others and not in ourselves. It says that our happiness and prosperity are not in our control.

I've know this for a while, but it's time to put it to practice: I can change no person or their behavior, but I can change how I respond. And I can change much it will affect my sensibilities.

That's all I can do. And if I've got that mastered, it's all I need.

No comments:

Post a Comment