Sunday, May 26, 2013

Ain't Misbehavin'.

If you've ever looked at trends in maternity clothes (and considering that 90% of my readers are men, I'd guess not), you'd realize that, until very recently, something has been very wrong. (Not that I've had any reason to, either. Let's just write it up under anthropological interest.)

High necklines, peter pan collars, delicate floral prints, and enough fabric to double as a tent in case of emergency seemed to indicate that absolutely nothing except the most immaculate of deeds created this condition. What?!

In more current times, a nice spandex blend stretched creatively over the proverbial breadbasket suffices--and is a much nicer homage to act of procreation. In my opinion.

If I can be honest, it is the permission to let my belly out in such a boastful and blatant way that has made me half consider baby making. Except there would be a baby and a belly not fit for anyone's eyes (knowing my unforgiving flesh) afterward. I'll have none of that.

Now that I am woefully off topic, I'll try to get us back.

The reason I was thinking about prudish maternity clothes is because the same phenomenon occurs in kitchen curtains. Last summer, I desperately combed sites and stores for a replacement of my current all-white coverings. And concluded that the window treatment industry has some shame issues that it needs to work out. The abundance of lace trims, crocheted borders, and pastel color palettes--and lack of anything other--suggests a conspiracy to censor the bacchanalia that goes on in my kitchen. I won't have any of that either.

I finally decided to make my own, inspired by the indulgent designers of tea towels:


They're loud and they shout: "Hey, let's make something!" As it should be.

No comments:

Post a Comment